Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

gettin crabs


I have gone down the list of favorite foods of mine a few times and crossed things out and added things. I mean a list like that needs editing every now and then. That kind of list also has some sublist. I would say one of my sublist to favorite foods would be favorite sea foods. On the favorite sea foods list crab legs are somewhere toward the top. 
On a hunt for some awesome crabs this Easter Sunday I found myself crossing the Gandy to visit The Crab Shack. I have passed this place so many times going to Ray's games in St. Pete and I should have known that a place looking the way it does can only stay in business by having some bangin ass food. 





The ambiance is definitely St. Pete beach bum. The place is far from fancy but the food is authentic to say the least. And the prices are pretty killer.


The apps we ordered included 
Oyster stew 
Green back muscles with butter garlic sauce
Buffalo shrimp 
Deviled crab rolls

The best out of these were the buffalo shrimp they were seriously amaze balls. The muscles were pretty damn good too. I did not try the oyster stew because I am still a little anti oyster after the shooter experience. Also although the crab rolls were good there are way too big... sometimes bigger isn't better. Crab rolls are heavy as is therefore they should not be larger than like an egg... ish. I am still voting Brocato's as first place for deviled crab. 

The apps definitely were a nice way to start a meal but I honestly could barely contain my excitement for the crab legs.



The server dropped off this little tool kit to get us ready and my excitement grew. They get you prepped by giving you a bucket for the shells of course, nut crackers (not crab crackers haha), kitchen sheers, and a little popsicle stick fork type of thing. you will not find any wet ones here folks. 


So top of this photo you will see two blue crabs... if you are into that get them because they are $2.50 each... I mean that is a deal. But guess what...I am NOT into that shit. Those crabs are full bodies meaning they still have all that orange and brown weirdo brain matter looking nonsense. I like to think I am a Florida girl who can handle sea food but when you can just have crab legs that have the beautiful clean meat why go for something with all the weird!.. no thanks. 

I was all about the dungeness crab legs though. I mean listen these have the creepy hair on the outside which is not ideal but the meat inside... OMG. They were recommended to us by another patron. FYI I would not take advice on much other than which crab legs to order from the patrons at these joint... just sayin. But seriously though the crab legs were AWESOME. 


I attended a Ray's game the same weekend and watched the Ray's kick some Yankee ass... Due to a late departure to the game I ate at the stadium and while the pretzel and cajun boiled peanuts rocked I think next time I will leave earlier and stop at the Crab Shack for sure. 

The location makes it perfect for a pre game meal but if you are not headed to a game it is just right over the Gandy so it really is only a quick trip and you can stop by one of my faves on the way home for a beer.


That is how I got crabs in St. Pete... the first time. I am pretty sure it will happen again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment